There are several reasons to analyze the best methods of teeth whitening at home for people of different professions and social status. Some are interested in economic benefits, while others are attracted by the opportunity to shape a presentable image with the help of a snow-white smile.
Causes of darkening of tooth enamel
Several factors are known to cause the appearance of unsightly dark plaque on tooth surfaces.
- Presence in the diet of food varieties that contribute to the darkening of enamel. These include heavily brewed black tea and coffee.
- Smoking habit. It is manifested by an unpleasant yellow or brownish bloom. It leads to the fact that the smoker begins to embarrass his smile.
- Lack of hygiene, which consists of irregular teeth cleaning. The result is a gradual accumulation and hardening of plaque, which changes color to a brownish, yellow or gray hue.
The natural reason for losing the former whiteness of tooth enamel is age.
Contraindications to the procedure
In the process of analyzing the possibilities and deciding on the use of folk remedies for teeth whitening, pay attention to the contraindications of such a procedure:
- weak, dilute enamel;
- untreated caries;
- allergy to the recommended whitening product;
- Hypersensitivity of tooth enamel.
Fillings placed in places open for viewing, when whitening with home remedies, will be noticeable on the background of bleached teeth, which will not add aesthetic appeal to the smile.
Homemade teeth whitening product requires not only strict adherence to recommendations, but also constant self-monitoring. If signs of hypersensitivity appear, cancel the procedure immediately.
Teeth whitening techniques
Opinions on whether there is teeth whitening at home without damaging the enamel and oral cavity are quite different.
Depends on the sensitivity of the enamel, the degree of pollution, the presence of diseases of the oral cavity, gums, teeth. Due to these factors, the final effect will be noticeably different even when one product is used.
Once you start whitening, visit your dentist to treat the disease and obtain a qualified approval for the product of your choice:
- Someone will choose mechanical whitening with toothpastes, powders, rinses.
- Some will like folk methods that use soda, salt, hydrogen peroxide, activated carbon.
- There are also more modern techniques based on the use of special bleaching compounds.
- Connoisseurs of naturalness will take note of the whitening properties of berries and fruits.
Among the proven home use techniques, it is easy to find options that suit a particular condition.
Bleaching pastes, rinses, brushes
In the range of ready-made hygiene products, the most popular varieties are designed to whiten tooth enamel.
- Toothpastes with abrasives that promote mechanical removal of deposits. The application alternates with the implementation of hygienic measures with ordinary paste. Use is discontinued after the intended result is achieved.
- Rinses in the presence of hydrogen peroxide in the structural formula, allowing the enamel to lighten up to two tones. Do not report for more than 2 weeks.
- Tooth powder from a range of whitening mixtures, which is quite aggressive. It is recommended to use it two to three times if you want to get a snow white smile quickly.
- Special toothbrushes with rubber coating or impregnated with chemical brighteners. These are most often calcium carbonate crystals. There are also options for brushes with activated carbon. The dental surfaces become noticeably white after a few procedures. Note that these procedures are not intended for long-term and frequent use.
Having achieved the expected degree of whitening, fluoride toothpastes are introduced into the arsenal of hygiene products.
Chemical teeth whitening at home
Currently, chemical enamel bleaching techniques have become available for home use.
Hydrogen peroxide incorporated into specialized dental gels provides a gradual brightening effect. There are varieties that contain urea peroxide. These substances in a humid environment enter into a chemical reaction with the release of active oxygen.
The gel is easily applied with a brush to all bleached surfaces. To speed up the procedure, a halogen-based teeth whitening lamp, LED and ultraviolet radiation is used. In such a situation the whitening reaches 8 tones.
Self-whitening tooth guards
Teeth whitening with gel is increasingly being done using specialized grooves. These drawers are filled with the substance and placed for a certain time (30 minutes or more) according to the enclosed instructions. Up to 15 treatments are required to achieve the desired white enamel.
A simple way of lighting is to stick flexible strips on the teeth, one side of which is coated with a layer of urea or hydrogen peroxide.
The basic rule is that the boards must fit evenly and firmly into the surfaces. With the daily procedure, the duration is 5-30 minutes.
Bleaching gel-filled tube pens attract with a convenient way of use:
- Brush your teeth.
- Wipe with a napkin.
- Cover with gel.
- Hold without closing your mouth for 1-10 minutes.
If the instructions show that a final rinse is not necessary, you just need to close your mouth and the procedure is over.
Safety is only guaranteed by the correct use of any chemical method.
Using folk methods
In the popular treasury of recipes you can find safe teeth whitening, suitable for each specific case. As a rule, available substances are used.
By using teeth whitening with activated carbon, noticeable lightening is achieved, but not more than 2-3 tones. Crushed tablets are used in which a wet toothbrush is dipped.
It is important to rinse your mouth thoroughly after brushing, making sure that no black pieces of charcoal remain between your teeth.
When baking soda teeth whitening is performed, the product is applied instead of paste by placing it on a toothbrush. Because baking soda tastes unpleasant, a layer of powder is more often applied to a regular toothpaste. Such cleaning procedures are performed once a week.
Fine table salt is used as an abrasive. The methods of use are identical to the use of baking soda.
Some connoisseurs of folk methods prefer to whiten their teeth with hydrogen peroxide at home, considering this technique the safest. The concentration should not exceed 3%. After soaking the cotton pad with peroxide, the surfaces to be bleached are treated. The oral cavity is then rinsed.
Tea Tree Oil
The essential oil, whose raw material is melaleuca (another name is tea tree), has antiseptic properties.
Able to soften plaque on tooth enamel, allowing easy whitening:
- Use 2-3 drops of oil placed on the toothpaste applied to the brush during the usual brushing procedure.
- Add the same amount of tea tree oil to a glass of pre-boiled and cooled water. The solution is used as a bleaching agent for bleaching.
Neumyvakin is a popular technique after which the enamel quickly takes on a pleasant whiteness. Judging by the reviews, many believe that this is a really effective teeth whitening at home, along with a refreshing breath:
- Prepare a pasty mass of soda (half a teaspoon), hydrogen peroxide (10 drops), lemon juice (3 drops).
- Put the composition on cotton wool.
- Treat dental planes from all sides.
Due to the healing properties of wounds, gums gradually heal at the same time as teeth whitening.
Any homemade tooth whitening recipe can damage the enamel if applied for a long time. Adhere to the recommended deadlines.
Delicious whitening recipes
There are several types of berries and fruits that have a beneficial effect on the teeth, restoring their freshness and whiteness.
The anti-inflammatory and brightening rind of the lemon helps remove dark deposits. It is enough to wipe the dental planes with the inner side of a piece of bark after the evening hygienic procedure. The duration of the course is 10 days.
Fragrant and delicious strawberries will help whiten teeth:
- Grind until mushy.
- Apply to bleached areas.
- Hold for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse mouth.
If the plaque on the teeth is insignificant, apples can deal with the problem:
- Just chew the fruit slowly, spreading the juice over the surfaces.
- Rinse your mouth with boiled warm water (glass) with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
Chewing raw carrots not only removes plaque and whitens teeth, but also strengthens enamel.
When you start whitening your teeth, practice different techniques alternately to achieve a significant effect and not damage the enamel.
Method after bleaching
Having achieved the intended result in the process of teeth whitening, completely exclude from the menu for a few days (optimally - 2 weeks) food that can stain enamel.
Includes saturated juices, coffee, red wine. Do not use:
- strong tea.
It is recommended to quit smoking. In order not to increase the sensitivity of the teeth, they limit fermented milk, fermented, sour, sour foods.
To keep your teeth white for a long time, brush daily and in the morning. The paste is chosen with fluorine. Cleaning manipulations take at least 3 minutes. It is considered optimal - 5 minutes. At the same time, the tongue is carefully cleaned, as well as the gums.
After a meal, it is advisable to rinse your mouth with mouthwash. Look for a variety with whitening characteristics. If not, you can with water. It is good for the teeth to finish the meal with an apple. Chewing gum is used, but you should not keep it in your mouth for too long. Cleaning the enamel takes 2 minutes.
The advisory support of an experienced dentist before the start of home teeth whitening procedures will allow you to avoid possible mistakes and get a snow-white smile with safe methods.